On 9 and 10 December, 2016 an international conference entitled “The role of teaching languages And Human Sciences in addressing radicalism ” was held in Tunisia in which the International Centre for Human Sciences represented by the Head of Citizenship Formation Department Ms. ZeinaEl-Mir participated with a working paper entitled:” Human and social sciences in fighting to reject extremism”. In her presentation, she explained why the center is interested in this topic clarifying this idea through its main objectives based on:
– Promoting human and social sciences and revitalization them at universities, centers of research and studies, and in the public cultural spaces.
– The development of human and social sciences in the service of democracy and the promotion of its principles, and the consolidation of its values in societies.
– Promoting the principles of co-existence and renouncing all forms of intolerance and extremism in all its forms and emphasizing the importance of peace, dialogue and rapprochement between the various cultures and religions, and trying to establish the principles of citizenship.
She pointed out that the center works for these goals through its tasks that are distributed on the main activities: – Studies and Research – International and regional scientific conferences, forums and intellectual lectures – Autumn school – Workshops, thinking and training sessions on scientific research methodology and employing it in the human sciences issues, human rights, and citizenship… under the slogan: convert knowledge into citizenly behavior.
Then Ms. ZeinaEl-Mir presented the autumn school project and its details as a model for the mechanisms adopted by the center in order to achieve its objectives, and she highlighted the theoretical and practical sides of the project.
– On the theoretical side, the autumn school project is based on the distinction between beliefs based upon absolute truth as opposed to the human sciences based on the relative truth, considering that absolute truths are free and personal choices that should be respected, but it should not be imposed on people or to exploit the political power for this purpose, and that’s in accordance with the principles of the Universal Declaration of Human rights, based primarily on the freedom of belief, freedom of conscience, freedom of opinion and expression, in addition to the fact that these absolute truths should be limited within the private space of individuals and neutralizing it in the public space.
– In the practical side, the center is trying through the autumn school project to:
– Train on the methodology of scientific research in human sciences.
– Train on the technical assets of dialogue and debate and their ethic rules
– Train to accept the different other and his right to be different (difference identity, difference of religion and confessions, different political opinion, gender and cultural differences…)
– Train on the development of differences in the service of the participants – Test the value of co-existence and its assets, rules and usefulness.
– Then Ms. Mir presented on behalf of the International Centre for Human Sciences the following recommendations and proposals: – Permanent work on raising awareness on the importance of education to reject intolerance and extremism within the private and public spaces, especially among women and young people. – Including the subject of extremism within the school curriculum and identifying the appropriate themes and appropriate practical activities.
– Involving young men and women in awareness-raising meetings on topics that promote the idea of co-existence within the frame of universities and civil society institutions.
– Stimulating the media to delve into the realm of the fight against all forms of radicalism, especially the religious and ideological fanaticism.
– Calling the Ministries of Culture in the Arab countries to develop their work strategies in order to serve the objectives of the fight against intolerance in all its forms.
– Benefiting from the knowledge and ideas that the human and social sciences present and turn them into training programs that aim to transform knowledge into citizenly behavior.